Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Damned Roads

... and I mean it! Why? Well, it seemed all so easy and building them wasn't taking much time. They are basically two bars of foamcore covered with cardboard pieces as sidewalk glued onto a base of cardboard. Like I said simple yet effective. But then I painted them with my structure sauce and the troubles began. The carboard started warping during drying and it was impossible to attach them to each other. It was horrible. I didn't want to throw them away and so I putted them away and decided to wait until I get an idea of fixing this mess. This is what they looked like after they warped.




Attached to the buildings there where a lot of spaces and edges.


After I finished my bunker board I got the idea to replace the cardboard base of the roads with MDF tiles.


And so I cutted off the siedewalks and removed the remaining cardboard pieces from the bottom sides...


...and glued the sidewalks onto the MDF tiles. No more warping!

The only problem with this technique is that the MDF tiles are thicker than the cardboard bases and I placed all buildings on such cardboard bases, so the roads are standing higher than the buildings. But this is easily solved by adding some MDF pieces to the bottom of all buildings so they have the same level as the roads. Now I just got to get some more MDF to finish all road tiles and reinforce the building bases.

4 comments:

  1. It's a pain in the arse but a good solution my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice solution to your problem.

    With 'official' scenery being so expensive the home made variety can be a big saving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use 2mm plasticard (styrene) sheets for this sort of thing. easy to stuck things to and far easier to paint as well. might be a little more expensive (though not much) but worth it imo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @GMort.
    The price isn't the only reason for me to build stuff on my own, the much more important reason is that there is nothing out there that suits my requirements.

    @Atreides
    Styrene is also a good way to go but it's more than 3 times the price of the same amount of MDF and the MDF is also a little more durable and I want to build for eternity^^

    ReplyDelete